How To Effectively Network: Fitness and Wellness

 How To Effectively Network: Fitness and Wellness

In the realm of fitness, wellness, and exercise, networking is a very essential and important aspect of your career. Some people are natural extroverts and network very well like its second nature for them. However, it's not that easy for introverts. If you're like me, you resonate more with the last sentence. I am a born introvert who used to struggle to make connections and even speak up in class. But as I learned how important networking and making connections are in my field, I realized I needed to get outside of my comfort zone. Now, the question is, how are you supposed to network effectively in the field of exercise and wellness?

Even though it's cliche, the most important thing when it comes to networking is to be YOURSELF. That doesn't mean to not be professional though. I'm not saying to talk to them like your hometown best friend with some beers, but there is a certain level professionalism that should be upheld. This will show the other individual that you understand and know when to be professional. So, what does this look like?

The first step to being professional is to look the part. This is through appearance and body language. At a professional conference, speech, or event is very important. Most events hold a "business casual" dress code that is inherently followed. This looks like a polo, button down, slacks, khakis, jumpsuit, dress, etc. Good grooming and hygiene are also key to presenting yourself. You are your own business card. Therefore, you must show others that you are professional. 

Next, the introduction. You may not even know you are talking with a future employer or a big name of a company. Therefore, you must talk to everyone you aim to network with as you are talking to the President. Start by just saying "Hello!" and shaking their hand firmly. Using "sir" and "ma'am" are also key when in conversation to display respect to the other individual. 

Then, just go with the flow of conversation! You can state where you're from, what university or employer you belong to, where you're from, etc. Maintaining professionalism is key to making connections in our field. The more connections, the more opportunities.



Comments

  1. Hey Tysen, I find this super informational and a great experience to hear about. I find it very interesting because i am figuring out what I want to conite in focusing on for the future and what you are sharing is very good to know. I Also find it very interesting how you are making sure to have an enfacince on your first impression. As you are talking about "Shaking hands" and saying "sir" and "ma'am". Also a great point "The more connections, the more opportunities"

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was such a great post! I really like how you emphasized that being yourself while maintaining professionalism is key. Networking can definitely be intimidating for introverts, but your advice makes it feel much more approachable. The reminder that “you are your own business card” really stood out to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's up Tysen, I think this is a very essential aspect to talk about in are world either if its SWE or PAFM. You are your past marketer, you as an individual know yourself best to sell yourself to those your are trying to network to. First impressions to mean so much in the world in any industry this could make or break peoples opinions on you. In my opinion this is where most people these days mess up by doing something stupid or making the wrong name for themselves as an individual. Overall, I think this topic for your blog is great for all of us to take into consideration in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's up Tysen, I love how informational your blog has been. Alot of people don't understand how important networking is! Networking can make or break your career it's all about who you know and how you know them. Word of mouth is one of the best ways to promote yourself or others

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How I Met The Gym

Most Effective Way to Train - My Opinion