How I Met The Gym
How I Met The Gym
I have been in an exercise and fitness atmosphere as soon as I was born. The Phillies, Eagles, 76ers, Penn State, all of these teams have been a part of my life from the womb, which brought me to the realm of sports. As soon as I was able to, I began playing and engaging in sports such as baseball, basketball, and football. From swinging a bat imagining myself as Chase Utley to running down the sideline like Darren Sproles, the game was my entire life.
It stayed that way all throughout middle school until I reached high school. That is when I developed a true understanding and passion for the game of football. Even though I was still involved in baseball and a newly picked up sport, wrestling, I was encapsulated by football. Every grueling practice, play, yard, tackle, game, all of it. It was my life and identity. Many people can't say that they develop a love for something that isn't a person or thing as strong as mine was. I wanted to play football as long as I possibly could. Not for the money, clout, or status. Just for the game. The game that brought me the only sense of true happiness at that point in my life.
July 8th, 2023, was a beautiful day. I had a baseball game at my local baseball field for a teener league I was in to stay connected to baseball in the offseason for high school. My family was in Florida for my little brother, who was playing at the Pony League World Series being broadcasted on ESPN. It was my day off of football practice since we were off on Sundays. That morning, my football coach came to my house to drop off a playbook for me to learn and study so I could learn the wide receiver position, which was a pretty big change from running back and linebacker, my main positions. As I talked to him in my baseball uniform, my excitement grew to learn a new position for my senior season. I remember his departing words to me being, "have fun, don't get hurt brother, we need you".
As I headed to the game, I was excited but felt kind of off with not having my family there. It was just a fun recreational game though, nothing serious, so I wasn't affected by it all that much. The other team didn't even have all their players, so they had to call up a kid from the younger division to fill their positions. As I was having fun with my teammates and making plans after the game to hangout, I went up for my third at bat of the day. I hit a ground ball to the kid who they called up, a 14-year-old who doesn't have much experience with baseball. So, I ran to first base, expecting him to make an error and secure me at least first base. All of a sudden, I see the first baseman start to shift towards me a little while looking in the third baseman's direction. I assumed it would be a bad throw and first base would just let it go past me to avoid any collision. The opposite happened. We ran right into each other, causing us both to fall backwards. Instant pain in my right knee. As I lay on the ground praying that it's nothing serious, the back of my mind was telling me otherwise.
After the game, I got a ride back home where I instantly tried to schedule an MRI and doctors visit to get whatever was wrong with my knee fixed. My athletic trainer at my high school had great connections, so I was able to get an MRI pretty quickly. I went to football practice on Tuesday just to watch and support the team, hoping that I would be back in a few days. After practice, my dad came to pick me up but walked onto the field to help me out. His first words to me were, "I'm so sorry Tys, it's a torn ACL and Meniscus". I instantly thought he was just joking and it wasn't anything serious, but I could tell that wasn't the truth. As he hugged me and tears filled my eyes, I made my way to the coaches' room to break the news.
I didn't know what to say at first as they all looked at me with smiles. Once I coughed the words out, the mood of the entire room shifted. My head coach had no words and just gave me a hug. There it was all the tears I was holding in and avoiding just came out. An ACL injury is an 8–12-month recovery, so football was out the door for me. I tried holding onto the fact that I was getting recruited for college, but I ended up getting ghosted by all coaches recruiting me after they found out about the injury.
This spiraled me. Having to sit on the sidelines watching my fellow teammates do what I only knew how to do. The game of football. After every game, I spent hours in my car more depressed than ever just wishing I could be out there with my brothers. I had to direct my focus, but I had no idea how. The only other thing connected to football that I knew what to do was lifting weights. So, I began getting up at 2am every single day before school so I could relieve myself of the pain, sorrow, and emotions I got from my injury. After the gym, I went to physical therapy, then to school. It was a routine that I forced myself to follow to build discipline. Most will read this and think, "it's literally just a game, everyone gets hurt, this is so exaggerated". I've heard it all. What most don't understand is that when something you are so bound and connected to is taken away in an instant, you tell yourself things that are completely irrational. This is where my depression and anxiety disorders grew. I didn't know what to do with myself. The only thing my mind had to do was tear it down.
This isn't a post where I'm looking for sympathy or pity. This is a post to show that no matter what happens to you in life, there is always a way out. I battle demons and hardships every day. I'm sure you do too. If not, I guarantee that someone in your life does. Be an outlet for someone and let someone be an outlet for you. Depression and anxiety lie to you. You are worth it and have a reason to be here. I'm proud of you. Find something you love that absolutely encapsulates you. It gets easier. Again, I'm proud of you.
Tysen LaRocco
10/22/25
Hey tysen, I enjoyed reading about your journey to the gym. For everyone its diffrent and for a diffrent reason but i like how you explained all the factors introducing you to your passion. This is definitely a blog post that i relate to more than others. As i feel like we can relate on why we both started lifting. I am proud of you!
ReplyDeleteI appreciate that sir, thank you!
ReplyDeleteYour story is incredibly inspiring and shows the true strength behind your love for the game. Losing football so suddenly brought heartbreak that most people will never fully understand, yet you continued to show up and fight for yourself every day. The discipline you built through the gym and your recovery proves how resilient you truly are. Sharing your experience brings awareness to struggles like depression and anxiety that often stay hidden. Thank you for being brave enough to tell your story, because it will motivate others to keep going too.
ReplyDeleteTysen, this is an amazing post about your story. Reading this just makes me imagine the journey with you; it's incredible. The way you explained everything about your personal life, with lifting and the obstacles you went through. The way you talk about going through what you went through and how you still battled those demons to overcome them to be where you are at right now is amazing. This should be noticed way more to that people can hear your story and understand what you went through. Reading this just makes me understand everyone goes through things we don't know about and never should judge anyone with what they go through.
ReplyDeleteI love your story man. I think you should actually share this more.
ReplyDelete