Most Effective Way to Train - My Opinion

Most Effective Way to Train - My Opinion

There are several different ways to do strength training. However, I believe that there is one simple way to achieve results most effectively. What is that? Training to complete muscular and technical failure. From the outside, it seems awful and stupid. Let's look a little deeper into why I believe it is the most optimally effective.

Let's begin with the psychological and emotional aspect of training to failure. If you have ever done this type of training, you understand how grueling it was when you first began. However, as you progress and practice training to failure, it becomes second nature. In my experience, I push myself the absolute hardest when I train this way. No where or nothing else will force you to push you muscles and technique to their absolute max. Therefore, you build discipline and the ability to push your body when your mind tells you otherwise. This translates to life as well. When we are faced with adversity, struggle, or confrontation, a part of your mind tells you to flee and get away as fast as possible, hence, our fight or flight response. However, when you train your mind to understand that your body and muscles can go farther and farther with one, two, even three more reps, it gets adjusted. I like to think of it as a humility piece as well. Nothing is this world can be more defeating than failure. However, when we push to and past failure in the gym, we get humbled but also a sense of reward. You pushed yourself to the point where you can't even move those muscles anymore. Then, it becomes the last set of your workout. Then, the last exercise. Then, every single set of every workout is pushed to failure. The reward and accomplishment you feel from knowing you left absolutely nothing on the table and gave it your absolute all is a feeling that isn't replicated.

How about the strength benefits? Well, I think it's pretty simple. Our muscles are already used to the movement of the exercise before failure. Does that mean we won't see any gains if failure is not achieved? You will definitely see gains without reaching failure. However, will you get better and stronger at something that you already are comfortable with doing? That's the question. Our muscles aren't used to being pushed to a point where they can't contract fully. Therefore, the muscles must ADAPT to that to get comfortable with the movement. That's where the gains benefits come in with training to failure. It also allows for our bodies to understand that we can load our skeletal muscle farther than it thinks it can. 

Now, I'm not saying that training to failure is the ONLY way to train effectively. Personally, I have seen more benefits in my strength and physique than I ever have before when I started to train to failure on every set. Therefore, you must make sure that your technique is correct when training to failure to reduce the risk of injury. Give it a try. It will build character and gains!


Comments

  1. I really like how you explained both the physical and mental benefits of training to failure. It’s true that pushing your body past its limits can build not only strength but also discipline and resilience. Your point about adapting to discomfort is powerful and shows how training can translate to real-life challenges. I also appreciate that you emphasized the importance of proper form to prevent injury while pushing to your max.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tyson I really loved how you formatted your opinion and backed it up with facts. It is so interesting how training like this translates to the real world. We often do not realize it but working out provides a lot of mental health benefits. I like how you also included strength benefits and broke them down for us. This was a great read and I definitely learned a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whats up tysen! I really like how you went over this topic as its very important for a lot of gym goers. I think its great how you don't just talk about the physical aspect but also the "pyschological and emotional aspect". I think its very important and important to have the right mindset as your mindset can make or break your lift or your entire life in general. I enjoyed reading this blog good job tysen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What up Tysen, I really enjoyed your blog post. I think it was professional and I could tell that you put effort into this. I like how you talked about the phycological benefits of training. I think that often gets overlooked. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Tysen, I really enjoyed reading your blog! I feel like the topic you chose to write about is important for anyone trying to be healthy. It can also be important to learn about if you plan on training or teaching about physical activity. It was also nice how you went over the physical and mental aspects of training.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How I Met The Gym

How To Effectively Network: Fitness and Wellness